Home Handyman

Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: Mello's #$%&#%$ TILE JOB


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 9419
Date:
Mello's #$%&#%$ TILE JOB


OK, Gang, I decided to start a new thread because I am starting a new project.  No longer am I preparing the wall for the "Tileman" - - I have become the "Tileman" - - - and I need y'all advice and help whenever you can.

As I mentioned on the old thread, I have the tile and materials and am ready to start trying to set the tile.  Peg and ComeOn had talked about the layout and how important it was to start out properly - - - Soooooooooo - - - Y'all take and look at the pics below and see if I'm on the right track or if I should maybe start with full tiles in every corner and then only have to trim one side of each wall (3).

The three walls are very typical in dimensions - - -
roughly they are 
60"x60" 
32" x 60"
32" x 60"

In the pics I have laid out the back wall with four tiles (12x12) kinda centered with approx 6" left on each end (those pieces can both be cut from one tile)
On the non-plumbed end, I have done the same with about 3 3/4" on each side - - - HOWEVER, on the plumbing wall I am wondering if I want to center a tile on the fixtures and therefore making a grout line on each side of the plumbing outlets - - - ORRRRRRR - - - should I start in the corner with a full tile and let the grout line break in the center of the outlets???

Altho, I've probably used way too many words, I think most of you will see what I mean and I'm not going to start glueing them to the wall until tomorrow or maybe even as late a Monday - - - NO RUSH WHATSOEVER HERE !!!!!

Attachments
__________________

"Life is a Poem - - it has Rhyme and Reason" author: Me



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 9419
Date:

POST SCRIPT to Poncho: if you think this needs to be moved to the original thread - - - feel free to do so - - - thanks again for the forum, Mello

__________________

"Life is a Poem - - it has Rhyme and Reason" author: Me



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 2375
Date:

Hiya Mello! Love the thread title. biggrin Keep in mind that I'm no tile setter, but I do tile layout with my overlay applications. Feel free ta bat me in the head if my suggestions make cutting and setting more difficult...my experience is with layout only. I would start on the plumbed wall, splitting my tile so that the fixture came out bang on the centre line. I would also stagger my joints with each course. As far as layout goes, there's my input....should I run? weirdface

__________________

Glitter Text Maker



Anything worth doing is worth overdoing !


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 9419
Date:

Come On wrote:

Hiya Mello! Love the thread title. biggrin Keep in mind that I'm no tile setter, but I do tile layout with my overlay applications. Feel free ta bat me in the head if my suggestions make cutting and setting more difficult...my experience is with layout only. I would start on the plumbed wall, splitting my tile so that the fixture came out bang on the centre line. I would also stagger my joints with each course. As far as layout goes, there's my input....should I run? weirdface



OK, only one question from this paragraph - - - when you say stagger your joints - - - are you saying don't lay it like a checkerboard but instead more like a bricked wall pattern????



__________________

"Life is a Poem - - it has Rhyme and Reason" author: Me



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 4168
Date:

hi mellow yellow.lets start with a good level.check the two inside corners to see if there plumb.now check the tub to see if it is level.its probably not perfect everwhere.now make a level line about 16in. up from the tub,all three walls.this way you can measure down to the mark for the tile to start.measure out from the inside corners the same way,16in.out.make a plumb line.these lines are reference points.now you can see how the measurments to the tub and inside corners vary.the longest measurment you find is where you start with full tiles.the rest will need a trim.this keeps from having a sliver of tile in the corners and at the tub area.even if it is off a bit you never see it.with the tile your useing you will be able to do fine.the smaller they are the more difficult the job.hope this helps geezer

__________________
born with nothin....still got most of it...


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 9419
Date:

geezer69 wrote:

hi mellow yellow.lets start with a good level.check the two inside corners to see if there plumb.now check the tub to see if it is level.its probably not perfect everwhere.now make a level line about 16in. up from the tub,all three walls.this way you can measure down to the mark for the tile to start.measure out from the inside corners the same way,16in.out.make a plumb line.these lines are reference points.now you can see how the measurments to the tub and inside corners vary.the longest measurment you find is where you start with full tiles.the rest will need a trim.this keeps from having a sliver of tile in the corners and at the tub area.even if it is off a bit you never see it.with the tile your useing you will be able to do fine.the smaller they are the more difficult the job.hope this helps geezer



thanks, Geez, I'll check the inside corners and pop a line - - 'preciate it !

next time we're in your neck-o-woods let's hook up and bust a watermelon or something -- whatcha say??



__________________

"Life is a Poem - - it has Rhyme and Reason" author: Me



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 4168
Date:

o,i forgot.you can,in most all cases start the 12in. tile from the center line of the back wall.if you start in the center,go over 6 in. and put a plumb line.thats the edge of the tile.if you stager the tile it is the edge for one tile and the center of the next tile.i ramble a bit,hope im not confusing you.

__________________
born with nothin....still got most of it...


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 4168
Date:

i like wattermelon.why not.

__________________
born with nothin....still got most of it...


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 9419
Date:

geezer69 wrote:

o,i forgot.you can,in most all cases start the 12in. tile from the center line of the back wall.if you start in the center,go over 6 in. and put a plumb line.thats the edge of the tile.if you stager the tile it is the edge for one tile and the center of the next tile.i ramble a bit,hope im not confusing you.



Not at all - - - I'm kinda liking CO's staggering idea but then again that means more cutting and planning - - - for something that we will be selling eventually - - idea



__________________

"Life is a Poem - - it has Rhyme and Reason" author: Me



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 4168
Date:

its really not alot extra cutting.its what you or the next feller likes.i like a good job either way.

__________________
born with nothin....still got most of it...


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 4168
Date:

hey mellow yellow.have you had a chance to check out thungs with your level yet?

__________________
born with nothin....still got most of it...


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 9419
Date:

geezer69 wrote:

hey mellow yellow.have you had a chance to check out thungs with your level yet?



GMTA - - -LOL - - - that's just what I was doing and almost all corners and walls are very level - - - across the top edge of the back wall tub top (long edge) it is right on, however, the top edge of the tub at the non-plumbed end is off about 1/6th of a bubble (if that much) the top edge of the tub at the plumbed end is about 1/5th of a bubble off.  Maybe tubs are designed that way with an end slope away from the back wall?????  Not too bad considering the age and history behind the add-ons etc.

Right now I'm trying to decide whether to stagger the joints or put them in straight and checkerboard style.  Thnk, I'll lay some tile out on the floor and get the Wiff to decide.  Gonna do something this morning because I laid awake half the night thinking about this &$#%$&% project - - - so it's time to stick something to the wall - - - - after a quick PTA bath that is.

Thanks for the shout, this morning,
Have a good'un,
Mello



__________________

"Life is a Poem - - it has Rhyme and Reason" author: Me



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 4168
Date:

good luck and let us know how it goes.

__________________
born with nothin....still got most of it...


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 9419
Date:

geezer69 wrote:

good luck and let us know how it goes.



thanks, fixing to start and I've decided to stay checkerboard and square because the old laminate above the tile and the flooring are that way.

L8tr G8tr,
mello



__________________

"Life is a Poem - - it has Rhyme and Reason" author: Me



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 9419
Date:

Eight installments made - - - only 44 installments left - - - decided to let this set until around 5pm (3 to 4 hours from starting time) and then put up 8 more before turning in for the night.

All my sets at this time are non-cutting so after I get the wet-saw from my Son then we'll tackle the tricky part.

Only problem so far was the spacers kept falling out.  Guess that's just a matter of acquired technique, huh????

P.S. I did back butter the centers of every tile per my Son's suggestions.


Attachments
__________________

"Life is a Poem - - it has Rhyme and Reason" author: Me



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 9419
Date:

8 more installments have been paid (16 total) and only 36 more payments and she'a mine all mine - - - my carpel tunnel and rotator cuffs are hating my Azz right about now but I've got Advil and Elavil to get me thru the night - - - LOL

There has to be something else that needs to be taken care of tomorrow??????

Attachments
__________________

"Life is a Poem - - it has Rhyme and Reason" author: Me



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 2375
Date:

Lookin' good man! I really like that tile. You made the right choice with the joints if the other is in that pattern. worship.gif and there ya are stuck in the groove lookin' fer other projects....c'mon up here 'cause I've got loads of work fer ya. biggrin

-- Edited by Come On at 19:59, 2008-06-08

__________________

Glitter Text Maker



Anything worth doing is worth overdoing !


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 9419
Date:

Come On wrote:

Lookin' good man! I really like that tile. You made the right choice with the joints if the other is in that pattern. worship.gif and there ya are stuck in the groove lookin' fer other projects....c'mon up here 'cause I've got loads of work fer ya. biggrin

-- Edited by Come On at 19:59, 2008-06-08



Thanks, Pal, not looking for anything 'sept the bed right now - - LOL
I love a good challenge and have never backed away from "ANYTHING" - - except them East Texas Diamondbacks - - - Brrrrrr.

BTW, if I'm gonna freeze my ??? off it will be in the Rocky Mtns. not in another country - hahahahabiggrin



__________________

"Life is a Poem - - it has Rhyme and Reason" author: Me



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 2375
Date:

We hit 80 F today. Pretty damn nice, really...now if we could get the next 364 days to stay at about that. I put in for some of that global warming that they're always yappin' about.

__________________

Glitter Text Maker



Anything worth doing is worth overdoing !


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 4168
Date:

you made that look easy.way to go.i bet its going to look good too.

__________________
born with nothin....still got most of it...
Peg


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 194
Date:

Cool! You DA MAN! You'll be bathing in the lap of luxury before you know it!
Peg


__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 9419
Date:

Peg wrote:

Cool! You DA MAN! You'll be bathing in the lap of luxury before you know it!
Peg



LOL, the Wiff asked me what I was crying about the other day and I said - - -
"WAAAAAAA yawn- - - I MISS MY HOT SHOWER cry- - - - Snif Sniffcry "



__________________

"Life is a Poem - - it has Rhyme and Reason" author: Me



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 9419
Date:

Slowly but surely - - - 8 more up and now I need the wet-saw  -  so there will be no more progress posts until we make the trip to my Son's

Hopefully within the next 24 hours

Peace,
Mello

Attachments
__________________

"Life is a Poem - - it has Rhyme and Reason" author: Me



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 2375
Date:

Lookin' good Mello!! Daily progress...gotta like it. What is your plan for the top? You'll want to keep that cementboard from gettin' soaked. Not that yer gonna be splashin' around that much...but I don't know yer bathroom habits. Heh,heh. If you're interested, there's really nice top trim pieces available...maybe you already knew that.

__________________

Glitter Text Maker



Anything worth doing is worth overdoing !


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 9419
Date:

Come On wrote:

Lookin' good Mello!! Daily progress...gotta like it. What is your plan for the top? You'll want to keep that cementboard from gettin' soaked. Not that yer gonna be splashin' around that much...but I don't know yer bathroom habits. Heh,heh. If you're interested, there's really nice top trim pieces available...maybe you already knew that.



Yeah, I'm gonna wait until it's all up and then decide how to trim it out - - - I may just go with a vinyl type molding if it presents that opportunity but I could cement in some top ceramic pieces too - - - just too early and too inexperienced to know right now.

thanks, CO
mello



__________________

"Life is a Poem - - it has Rhyme and Reason" author: Me



Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 32
Date:

lookn good mello

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 9419
Date:

deezy wrote:

lookn good mello



Thanks, deezy, hopefully after tomorrow when I get my son's wet-saw it will look - - - "DONE" biggrin



__________________

"Life is a Poem - - it has Rhyme and Reason" author: Me



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 9419
Date:

Not a "Happy Camper" today - - - Yesterday, we went South and picked up my Son's wet-saw and while I was in "CIVILIZATION" I decided to go ahead and get one of those carbide tipped bits to drill the hole for the water outlet. (SEE PIC BELOW) Well, since I wasn't paying any attentionidea, I found out that the $16 special bit is 1/2" drive and I only have 3/8" drive drills - - - - pretty much ruined my day because I had plans to set "ALL" the tiles today furious

However, I did discover that 12x12 tiles AREN'T 12"x12" confused- - - but the good news (if there is any) I caught that before screwing up any tiles - - -whew.

OK, I know I sound pisseymystic but I'm really not that type - - - couple of cool ones and I'm ready to go to Palestine and pick me up a 1/2 drill (which BTW, I have been needing for a long timebiggrin) and then finish this job.

Usually my rants come on Fridays and Mondays - - - LOL

(Footnote: I don't have the slightest hope that the $16 special carbide bit will do the job effeciently and effectively - - - but we'll see)

Attachments
__________________

"Life is a Poem - - it has Rhyme and Reason" author: Me



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 4168
Date:

your allmost done.i dont know about that bit.good luck and hold it straight and dont get in a hurry.if it gets in a bind you mite break a tile specialy near the edge.

__________________
born with nothin....still got most of it...


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 9419
Date:

geezer69 wrote:

your allmost done.i dont know about that bit.good luck and hold it straight and dont get in a hurry.if it gets in a bind you mite break a tile specialy near the edge.



Yeah, Geez, I thought the same thing and probably should have centered the tile on the plumbing outlets - - - too late now - - - LOL

I'll pick up 4 more tile just in case I have to go another way on cutting the hole.  

"ANY IDEAS??" - - - in case the bit don't work ???



__________________

"Life is a Poem - - it has Rhyme and Reason" author: Me



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 4168
Date:

i havent used a bit like that one.i havent done tile in about 30 years.back then we used 4in. tile.we were able to layout the tile so we could use nibblers on the tile,or just cut off a corner to fit the fixture supply .

__________________
born with nothin....still got most of it...
Peg


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 194
Date:

It doesn't make a pretty hole, a butt ugly one in fact, but I have used a small masonry bit to swiss cheese the area where I needed a bigger hole and then used a cold chisel to knock out the in between pieces. As long as the cover for your plumbing covers the ugly you are cool! wink

Even if the bit works and you get the holes you need on the first try I'd still recommend that you sock away a few tiles in the back of a closet or something just in case you ever have to replace one. It's taken me years but I've finally realized that it saves a lot of headaches if you hang on to remnants from any job. I've got paint, shingles, carpet scraps, etc. labeled and tucked away so that if I have to make a repair I can make it match!
Peg

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 4168
Date:

yes peg you are rite about that.ive done repairs for folks who had the forsite to keep extra materials.sure makes repairs alot easier when you dont have to search to match things.

__________________
born with nothin....still got most of it...
CHS


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 284
Date:

Mello Yello wrote:

 

geezer69 wrote:

your allmost done.i dont know about that bit.good luck and hold it straight and dont get in a hurry.if it gets in a bind you mite break a tile specialy near the edge.



Yeah, Geez, I thought the same thing and probably should have centered the tile on the plumbing outlets - - - too late now - - - LOL

I'll pick up 4 more tile just in case I have to go another way on cutting the hole.

"ANY IDEAS??" - - - in case the bit don't work ???



Last job with porcelain tiles, I used my angle grinder with a diamond blade. 4" dry. You can cut small grooves in the back until you get it where you want it.

Job looks really good so far. Sorry to not be chiming in earlier. We're in the middle of moving and I about to pack this computer away. Just needed a diversion this morning with my tea!!!

 



__________________
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again.


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 4168
Date:

hope your not gone long.when do you think youll be moved?

__________________
born with nothin....still got most of it...


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 9419
Date:

Good luck with the move, CHS, and thanks for the info.

I agree with you Peg.  We are going to pick up some extra tile today and if the special bit doesn't work then it's Swiss Cheese time for sure.

Thanks Gang,
Mello

__________________

"Life is a Poem - - it has Rhyme and Reason" author: Me

CHS


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 284
Date:

Will be there tomorrow but still have to figure out internet access. Bye, bye computer.............stay tuned

__________________
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again.


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 9419
Date:

Hey, Team, need a good laugh? - - - here tis weirdface- - - it took over an hour of bearing down with that "POS special bit" to finally get the hole drilled.  Now if I can get the rounded notch cut in the corner tomorrow morning, it should be all downhill from there.  Hopefully, I'll be able to grout her in Sunday evening or Monday morning - - - depending on my old joints and bones - LOL

Thanks again and have a great weekend, Y'all,
Mello

Attachments
__________________

"Life is a Poem - - it has Rhyme and Reason" author: Me



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 4168
Date:

i know its not funny,but i just got my laugh.over the years ive tried som p.o.s. tools.it dosnt look like you needed much help though.dang good job mellow.take care of the old bones.

__________________
born with nothin....still got most of it...


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 9419
Date:

geezer69 wrote:

i know its not funny,but i just got my laugh.over the years ive tried som p.o.s. tools.it dosnt look like you needed much help though.dang good job mellow.take care of the old bones.



yeah, it was funny - - - had the Wiff with the spray bottle of H2O - - spritzin and me just a leaning on the drill - - biggrin

Hey, Geez, I just gotta ask - - - "what the heck is that sitting on top of the Nova Wagon???"  Looks like a Guitar Amp - - - - LOL  That's not what flattened the top is it ????biggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrin



__________________

"Life is a Poem - - it has Rhyme and Reason" author: Me



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 2375
Date:

As crappy as leanin' on that thing for so long woulda been, you got a nice, clean hole through. A lesser man woulda quit...awesome.  headbang.gif

__________________

Glitter Text Maker



Anything worth doing is worth overdoing !
Peg


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 194
Date:

I know it's not funny.......but it is! LOL Sorry it turned out to be such a pain but.....I'm just glad it wasn't me! gadget.gifbiggrin

Got a pair of nippers to tackle that corner with?
Peg

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 9419
Date:

Come On wrote:

As crappy as leanin' on that thing for so long woulda been, you got a nice, clean hole through. A lesser man woulda quit...awesome.  headbang.gif

______________________________________________________

Last night the Wiff was trying her hand at being funny and read this and said - - - - "Looks like Come On misspelled "smarter" biggrin 




Peg wrote:


I know it's not funny.......but it is! LOL Sorry it turned out to be such a pain but.....I'm just glad it wasn't me! gadget.gifbiggrin

Got a pair of nippers to tackle that corner with?
Peg



Got a pair of old nail cutters from my horseshoeing days that work pretty good but I've been using the wet-saw and just taking my time and cutting long little slivers and then breaking them off.  Kinda like the old Skill saw set shallow and a bunch of 1/8" cuts made to notch a 2x4 - - - ya know ???

Peace,
Mello


-- Edited by Mello Yello at 07:58, 2008-06-14

__________________

"Life is a Poem - - it has Rhyme and Reason" author: Me



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 2375
Date:

AaaaaHaHaHaw !! rofl.gifbiggrinbiggrinbiggrin aww That's funny right there. Yep I don't care who ya are...that's funny. rofl.gifTell yer wife thanx fer the laugh...that's excellent. aww

__________________

Glitter Text Maker



Anything worth doing is worth overdoing !


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 9419
Date:

If a picture is truly worth a 1000 words then here are 2000 for you !

-- Edited by Mello Yello at 13:57, 2008-06-14

Attachments
__________________

"Life is a Poem - - it has Rhyme and Reason" author: Me



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 2375
Date:

Yessir! Looks like a job not only done but well done. worship.gif Looks really good Mello.

__________________

Glitter Text Maker



Anything worth doing is worth overdoing !


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 4168
Date:

that looks rear good mellow.back in use real soon.i bet you did save some $ also.way to go.

__________________
born with nothin....still got most of it...


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 9419
Date:

Thanks, Guys, I probably have around $200 in the whole job including the new 1/2" drill but NOT including the Gasoline - - - LOL

QUESTION: How long should I wait before grouting ???

__________________

"Life is a Poem - - it has Rhyme and Reason" author: Me

Peg


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 194
Date:

Congrats Mello! You DID it!! winner.gif

All depends on what type of thinset you used. The bag should have a time frame on it. They vary but you're pretty safe with any kind after 24 hours.

Peg



__________________
Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.



Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard