Home Handyman

Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: Leaky Fridge
CHS


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 284
Date:
Leaky Fridge


I think this is the correct section????????

A few weeks back we had a bunch of water behind the fridge and it went all the way behind the cabinet and over to the carpet. I thought it was the ice maker line and went down below and disconnected it planning on fixing it later, like today.

Well...........this morning there was a bunch of water leaking and pooling behind there so it ain't the ice maker supply line because that's disconnected and shut off.

Is there something screwed up in the fridge itself???????????  Over condensating????

This is a rental house and it looks like maybe new fridge time but I would hate to tell the owner it needs a new one if it's something minor. BTW, I think this puppy's about 20-25 years old if that matters.

Thoughts???  Oh yea, I'm no refrigeration exspurt, and don't even know anyone with a "Reefer License".  biggrinbiggrinbiggrin

__________________
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again.


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 5596
Date:

CHS wrote:

I think this is the correct section????????

A few weeks back we had a bunch of water behind the fridge and it went all the way behind the cabinet and over to the carpet. I thought it was the ice maker line and went down below and disconnected it planning on fixing it later, like today.

Well...........this morning there was a bunch of water leaking and pooling behind there so it ain't the ice maker supply line because that's disconnected and shut off.

Is there something screwed up in the fridge itself???????????  Over condensating????

This is a rental house and it looks like maybe new fridge time but I would hate to tell the owner it needs a new one if it's something minor. BTW, I think this puppy's about 20-25 years old if that matters.

Thoughts???  Oh yea, I'm no refrigeration exspurt, and don't even know anyone with a "Reefer License".  biggrinbiggrinbiggrin



My first thought on this was its beer time,, Oh wait thats the wrong question,,,

I had a simular problem with a OLD refer, it dripped water also,, I never really found out what the actual problem was   but was told that if it gets low on freon,[ that means a leak in the compressor]  does it still get cold like it is suspose too?,  LOW FREON = New refer,,, or the cooling fan isn't working correctly, causing over heating of the compressor, and condinsation,, = new refer

I took the test for a refer license but flunkled badly,  winkwinkbiggrin



 



__________________

Day br />http://s670.photobucket.com/albums/vv68/BADRAT01/
 

https://picasaweb.google.com/106336891618669151824/ALLANGLIA1BuildPictures#



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 9419
Date:

"Reefer? did somebody say Reefer?" - - - oops wrong question toocool.gif

I had a similar problem last year and it ended up being the ice maker so I just shut it off and the problem stopped - - -  you know most "newer" frigs are self-defrosting so there's a place you might look if it is as old as you say confuse



-- Edited by Mello Yello on Saturday 25th of April 2009 11:40:37 AM

__________________

"Life is a Poem - - it has Rhyme and Reason" author: Me

CHS


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 284
Date:

Mello Yello wrote:

 

"Reefer? did somebody say Reefer?" - - - oops wrong question toocool.gif




Wrong question................right answer!!!!biggrinbiggrin

Found the problem...............Though I had turned off the water at the saddle tap below the house it still supplied water to the fridge so it was actually still on a little. DUHconfuse

Also the line was broken where it goes into the fridge relay for the ice-maker. I'm fixing those lines and putting in new copper line and a new saddle tap.

I just need ice cubes for those margaritas tonite when our friends show up..biggrinbiggrin


I'll keep ya'll posted, back to work..............

 




 



__________________
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again.


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 9419
Date:

Cool, I'll wait until you get yours done before I tackle mine then - - - my Bud in my old hometown who is a appliance repairman told me that my problem was with some kinda valve/relay in the ice maker and not the line - - - keep us posted biggrin

__________________

"Life is a Poem - - it has Rhyme and Reason" author: Me



Administrator

Status: Offline
Posts: 2157
Date:

How much water?....Condensation from the unit is supposed to drip into this little pan at the bottom of the fridge, where the heat from the compressor evaporates it.....If this pan gets moved, the water will drip on the floor....but it shouldn't be a whole lot of water.

__________________

http://ontariorodders.activeboard.com/

CHS


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 284
Date:

Got er fixed and even put a filter in the new line. It had snapped off at the relay.

Hey Mello, I shoulda taken a pic but don't want to move the fridge again. The copper line comes into the back of the fridge, it then splits and one line for the water and one for the ice maker. 2 separate relays open up accordingly when juiced up. The plastic line going to the relay had broken off. I redid both as they looked old and brittle.



__________________
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again.


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 9419
Date:

CHS wrote:
Got er fixed and even put a filter in the new line. It had snapped off at the relay.

Hey Mello, I shoulda taken a pic but don't want to move the fridge again. The copper line comes into the back of the fridge, it then splits and one line for the water and one for the ice maker. 2 separate relays open up accordingly when juiced up. The plastic line going to the relay had broken off. I redid both as they looked old and brittle.


Gotcha, I think I understand - - - I just need to take a day and pull her out and fix it - - - getting old picking up crushed ice for the Wiff's DP's and Coke's

 



__________________

"Life is a Poem - - it has Rhyme and Reason" author: Me

Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.



Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard