Home Handyman

Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: Plumbers Putty, Silicone or non-oil-based caulking compound ??


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 36
Date:
Plumbers Putty, Silicone or non-oil-based caulking compound ??


I'm renovating my bathroom and replacing an old steel bathtub with an Acrylic based bathtub.

The link below is the style of Waste Drain and Overflow that I am using.
http://www.osb.ca/tools/downloads/instructions/OSB_InstallationSheet-5040_Series.PDF

What is best to use to seal the drain?

The instructions say non-oil based caulking compound. I have search the net and what I could find are all water based. Would that not defeat the purpose of using it for a drain??

I have always used plumbers putty for any drain, tap that I have installed in the past and none have ever leaked.
The searches I have done on the net say that plumbers putty can possibly break down the acrylic over time.
With silicone, I tend to make such a mess that I hate to use it.

What have you used? and has worked in the past?



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 9419
Date:

Not what you wanted to hear but I try to always use silicone when possible. The reason, of course, is the longevity and resistance to almost anything that comes in contact with it.
Good Luck, meller

__________________

"Life is a Poem - - it has Rhyme and Reason" author: Me



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 5596
Date:

Mello Yello wrote:

Not what you wanted to hear but I try to always use silicone when possible. The reason, of course, is the longevity and resistance to almost anything that comes in contact with it.
Good Luck, meller


I have to agree with ole Meller on this one,, if you apply the silicone in a bead,  then just wet your finger, or use a wooden paddle like a tongue  depressor either with water or paint thinner, etc.. you can smooth  and get the silicone to smooth out and do a decent job,, if you apply too much silicone,, its harder to do a nice job ,  and gets messy,,

the caulk usually drys out and starts cracking after a while..

 

 check here for some ideas

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/seal-bathtub-drain-24556.html



-- Edited by Bad Rat on Wednesday 29th of January 2014 09:35:50 PM

__________________

Day br />http://s670.photobucket.com/albums/vv68/BADRAT01/
 

https://picasaweb.google.com/106336891618669151824/ALLANGLIA1BuildPictures#



Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 511
Date:

Yes.

__________________

Dale,

Farwell, Michigan

Wheel Horse:
C-Horse (part C-141, part Commando 800)
C-101SS


Kubota BX-2670 w/50" blower & 60" mower



Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 36
Date:

ThanX guys.
I'll be tackling this on the weekend. I'll keep ya posted.

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 9419
Date:

good deal - - - - also remember that there are many "different" types of silicone for many "different" types of jobs when you are purchasing

__________________

"Life is a Poem - - it has Rhyme and Reason" author: Me



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 5596
Date:

Mello Yello wrote:

good deal - - - - also remember that there are many "different" types of silicone for many "different" types of jobs when you are purchasing


 Not to be used for breast enlargement,, smile



__________________

Day br />http://s670.photobucket.com/albums/vv68/BADRAT01/
 

https://picasaweb.google.com/106336891618669151824/ALLANGLIA1BuildPictures#



Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 511
Date:

Bad Rat wrote:


 Not to be used for breast enlargement,, smile


 

 

Talk about something that's a total waste of money....................



__________________

Dale,

Farwell, Michigan

Wheel Horse:
C-Horse (part C-141, part Commando 800)
C-101SS


Kubota BX-2670 w/50" blower & 60" mower



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 9419
Date:

I disagree, to me they are like a padded steering wheel - - - it doesn't improve your driving but it makes keeping your hands at 10 and 2 a lot more enjoyable.

__________________

"Life is a Poem - - it has Rhyme and Reason" author: Me



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 5596
Date:

Mello Yello wrote:

I disagree, to me they are like a padded steering wheel - - - it doesn't improve your driving but it makes keeping your hands at 10 and 2 a lot more enjoyable.


 headbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gif

 

 only a old fart would think that up,, why didn't I??????????????  but you are dead on  but like that ole saying goes,, anything over a mouthful is wasted anyway,, no



__________________

Day br />http://s670.photobucket.com/albums/vv68/BADRAT01/
 

https://picasaweb.google.com/106336891618669151824/ALLANGLIA1BuildPictures#



Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 511
Date:

Real? Fake?

So, using that analogy, there is no difference between a '60's muscle car, and a 2000's Japanese tuner................

One is the original, the other is the fake.

To me, it's original or I'll pass.

__________________

Dale,

Farwell, Michigan

Wheel Horse:
C-Horse (part C-141, part Commando 800)
C-101SS


Kubota BX-2670 w/50" blower & 60" mower



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 9419
Date:

Different "STROKES" different folks I guess

__________________

"Life is a Poem - - it has Rhyme and Reason" author: Me



Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 511
Date:

No doubt about that!

__________________

Dale,

Farwell, Michigan

Wheel Horse:
C-Horse (part C-141, part Commando 800)
C-101SS


Kubota BX-2670 w/50" blower & 60" mower



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 5596
Date:

Is This a hijack or what,, Hope 58 Chev Frank don't get discouraged and not come back,  hopefully he will  realize he is dealing with a bunch of "OLE BORED FARTS" that have nothing better to do than BS,,   and make up stories (BKA LIES)biggrin



__________________

Day br />http://s670.photobucket.com/albums/vv68/BADRAT01/
 

https://picasaweb.google.com/106336891618669151824/ALLANGLIA1BuildPictures#



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 9419
Date:

Yeah, I agree cause sometimes we can get a little rambunkcious to say the least - - - - maybe he's just putting silicone on the drain and hasn't had a chance to come back and thank us for being so knowledgeable and wise biggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrin



__________________

"Life is a Poem - - it has Rhyme and Reason" author: Me



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 5596
Date:

Mello Yello wrote:

Yeah, I agree cause sometimes we can get a little rambunkcious to say the least - - - - maybe he's just putting silicone on the drain and hasn't had a chance to come back and thank us for being so knowledgeable and wise biggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrin


You forgot the last word in that statement,, and it is (A$$)



__________________

Day br />http://s670.photobucket.com/albums/vv68/BADRAT01/
 

https://picasaweb.google.com/106336891618669151824/ALLANGLIA1BuildPictures#



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 9419
Date:

when you're right you're right, Amigo

__________________

"Life is a Poem - - it has Rhyme and Reason" author: Me



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 5596
Date:

Mello Yello wrote:

when you're right you're right, Amigo


 Tell my wife that,,, she will be on the next freight train to kick you're "OLE TOOKUS" as Geezer  often says....



__________________

Day br />http://s670.photobucket.com/albums/vv68/BADRAT01/
 

https://picasaweb.google.com/106336891618669151824/ALLANGLIA1BuildPictures#



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 1527
Date:

What does "BKA" mean????? confuseconfuseconfusewinkwinkwinknonono



__________________
Rrumbler - Broken and grouchy, but not dead - yet. Bangin' and twistin' on stuff for some sixty years or so.


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 5596
Date:

Rrumbler wrote:

What does "BKA" mean????? confuseconfuseconfusewinkwinkwinknonono


BKA   = Better Known As,,,,, biggrinbiggrinbiggrinyawn 



__________________

Day br />http://s670.photobucket.com/albums/vv68/BADRAT01/
 

https://picasaweb.google.com/106336891618669151824/ALLANGLIA1BuildPictures#



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 9419
Date:

I guessed and miss all 3

__________________

"Life is a Poem - - it has Rhyme and Reason" author: Me



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 1527
Date:

And now, that nice feller, 58Chevy, has likely gone off scratching his haid and shaking it, wonderin' what it is he got hisself messed up in here. confusebiggrinbiggrinbiggrin



__________________
Rrumbler - Broken and grouchy, but not dead - yet. Bangin' and twistin' on stuff for some sixty years or so.


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 5596
Date:

Rrumbler wrote:

And now, that nice feller, 58Chevy, has likely gone off scratching his haid and shaking it, wonderin' what it is he got hisself messed up in here. confusebiggrinbiggrinbiggrin


Nah!! he'll be back,, soon as he gets that tub install finished,,   and all that silicone cleaned up,,   wanna bet??? I don't!!! but hope he does come back,,,  biggrin



__________________

Day br />http://s670.photobucket.com/albums/vv68/BADRAT01/
 

https://picasaweb.google.com/106336891618669151824/ALLANGLIA1BuildPictures#



Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 511
Date:

Well I did! Router died, had to get a new one. OK, it was only 30 hours without internet, but it seemed like FOREVER.

__________________

Dale,

Farwell, Michigan

Wheel Horse:
C-Horse (part C-141, part Commando 800)
C-101SS


Kubota BX-2670 w/50" blower & 60" mower



Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 36
Date:

Bad Rat wrote:

Is This a hijack or what,, Hope 58 Chev Frank don't get discouraged and not come back,  hopefully he will  realize he is dealing with a bunch of "OLE BORED FARTS" that have nothing better to do than BS,,   and make up stories (BKA LIES)biggrin


 

 
Bad Rat wrote:
Rrumbler wrote:

And now, that nice feller, 58Chevy, has likely gone off scratching his haid and shaking it, wonderin' what it is he got hisself messed up in here. confusebiggrinbiggrinbiggrin


Nah!! he'll be back,, soon as he gets that tub install finished,,   and all that silicone cleaned up,,   wanna bet??? I don't!!! but hope he does come back,,,  biggrin


 Nah, Can't get rid of me that easily. disbelief 

I might take my time with reno's but slowly getting there. The tub is in tested and works just fine. The Hardie Backer Board is up. The sub floor is down and the Warmly Yours Heating mat is down.

Just need to get the thin set down , then Ditra membrane, finally tile. Lots of picturs fer ya old folk wink . I'll post up a new build thread once I'm closer to a finished bathroom.  



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 9419
Date:

thanks for the update and looking forward to the pics - - - - good luck as always
meller

__________________

"Life is a Poem - - it has Rhyme and Reason" author: Me



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 1943
Date:

Oh my - Ditra membrane!! Every time I look at that stuff and their Schluter aluminum extrusions I feel a huge hand heading for my SS check - which I immediately slap away and revert to my favorite, tried and proven felt paper.



__________________

Dave W (Irelands Child/IC2)

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead - R Green)



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 9419
Date:

Now, the English version please !

__________________

"Life is a Poem - - it has Rhyme and Reason" author: Me



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 1943
Date:

Mello Yello wrote:

Now, the English version please !


 Ditra is a product made/sold by Schluter (who also make aluminum extrusions for tile projects). The Ditra is very expensive and is supposed to be great stuff - but IMHO is a gimmick (but that as I said is my opinion). The extrusions are decorative and used also in tile work, very nice, but at $38 and (mostly)up per length. My upstairs bath that if you recall, I did last year, has the extrusions - >$200 dollars worth for an 8' vanity and tile surround. I considered ordering it for the upcoming kitchen counter project and surround and gave that idea up as not worthwhile as a home value adder

 



__________________

Dave W (Irelands Child/IC2)

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead - R Green)

Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.



Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard