Home Handyman

Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: What's for dinner tonight?


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 1527
Date:
RE: What's for dinner tonight?


Had about the same menu here, too, Dave.

__________________
Rrumbler - Broken and grouchy, but not dead - yet. Bangin' and twistin' on stuff for some sixty years or so.


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 464
Date:


101 not out , that's a good run.

Don't know what's for tea tonight, leftovers as we heading away on a 10 day holiday in sunny Neilson. It's where I would like to retire. Beautiful beaches.

Later gator
Russ

Think the house we've rented has wifi so I'm taking the I pad with me.

__________________

Panties, not the best thing in the world, but, next to the best thing in the world.



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 9419
Date:

First Cook of 2016 - - Cabbage Patch Stew and Sweet Yeller Cornbread









The Wiffy prefers her's in a bowl with lotza pot liquor.



__________________

"Life is a Poem - - it has Rhyme and Reason" author: Me



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 1527
Date:

No pictures, but we're having our usual New Years blackeyed peas, boneless pork ribs, and salad.

__________________
Rrumbler - Broken and grouchy, but not dead - yet. Bangin' and twistin' on stuff for some sixty years or so.


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 137
Date:

looks and sounds very good the both of them...........................................BEAR

__________________

MEMBER IN GOOD  STANDIN OF THE HILLBILLY NATION



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 9419
Date:

Lawdy Lawdy, now I know why I get up early and do these long cooks just for the Wiffy and I  


Beer Butted Bird and Oink Ribs were BOTH tender, moist and tasty - - - both also fell off of the bone but we don't eat bones anyhow biggrin

I could have glazed the ribs and taken them off after I removed the foil but I left them there with some crooked neck I wanted to grill.


 



__________________

"Life is a Poem - - it has Rhyme and Reason" author: Me



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 1527
Date:

That's the kind of grub that keeps me so damned fat - I eat too much of it; actually, I eat too much of almost anything that's reasonably tasty. Maybe I ought to seek out victuals that are not the least bit tasty. Mrs. Rr cooked this evening, her version of mac-'n-cheese with crispy fried bacon; comfort food.

__________________
Rrumbler - Broken and grouchy, but not dead - yet. Bangin' and twistin' on stuff for some sixty years or so.


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 137
Date:

Thursday wife did pork shoulder roast in the crock pot with pineapple sauce over rice very tasty ....................BEAR

__________________

MEMBER IN GOOD  STANDIN OF THE HILLBILLY NATION



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 9419
Date:

sounds "larapin", Bear, pork with fruit sauces or marinade are some of our favorites

fixed chicken fried chicken breast, cream gravy, rice and green beans for dinner and now I've got a pot of Georgia Collard Greens slow simmering that will probably be supper

meller

__________________

"Life is a Poem - - it has Rhyme and Reason" author: Me



Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 464
Date:

Lamb shanks tonight done in slow cooker with my own sauce. Try get a pic later with mash spud n verges. We used to feed shanks to dogs when I was a kid but now they are a delicacy.the times do change huh.

Later gator
Russ

__________________

Panties, not the best thing in the world, but, next to the best thing in the world.



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 1527
Date:

I'm gonna make a sashay at some chicken soup for tonight. Got leftover clucker thighs to use up.

__________________
Rrumbler - Broken and grouchy, but not dead - yet. Bangin' and twistin' on stuff for some sixty years or so.


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 1527
Date:

Amended our supper plans this evening, cooked a hunk of corned beef from a package, added some spuds, carrots, and a head of green cabbage cut in quarters; be ready in about a half hour.

__________________
Rrumbler - Broken and grouchy, but not dead - yet. Bangin' and twistin' on stuff for some sixty years or so.


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 9419
Date:

Shrimp Gumbo on the docket for today but first I have to clean out the rain gutters - - - damned oak tree leaves GRRRRRRRRRRRR

__________________

"Life is a Poem - - it has Rhyme and Reason" author: Me



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 9419
Date:

Since I was making a small 8cup pot of Gumbo, I thought I'd try my luck (which hasn't been too good in the past) and make some Roux. It turned out better than I've ever done before but I "cheated" and added some Tony C's Gumbo Mix also.  It would have been fine withoout the TC.

The other ingredients were a large bag of precooked medium shrimp, sauteed Holy Veggie Trinity and a can of Trappey's Okra and Maters.

Then I steamed some long grain Mahatma and grabbed some sodie crackers and LA Red sauce. NOW, it was NOT the best I have ever eaten BUT it was the BEST I have ever MADE. SWMBO liked it also.



Attachments
__________________

"Life is a Poem - - it has Rhyme and Reason" author: Me



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 1527
Date:

Mello Yello wrote:

SWMBO liked it also.


 This point is extremely important.  biggrinbiggrinaww



__________________
Rrumbler - Broken and grouchy, but not dead - yet. Bangin' and twistin' on stuff for some sixty years or so.


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 9419
Date:

It's a learning process and sometimes a difficult onebiggrinbiggrinaww



__________________

"Life is a Poem - - it has Rhyme and Reason" author: Me



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 1527
Date:

I mentioned earlier that I made corned beef the other night; it came out as usual, nothing special in our minds.

But last evening, I put up a plate for our neighbor who just got out of the hospital after his fifth operation on his leg. Now, this guy is from Croatia, and is kind of "funny turned" as my late Father in Law used to say; American food is a mystery to him for the most part, and taking him out to eat is an adventure. Well, my corned beef and cabbage pot consists of a hunk of corned beef brisket boiled in herbs and spices and water and beer, with quartered potatoes, carrots, onion, and quartered cabbage head(s) put into the pot after the beef has cooked for an hour or so and developed a good broth. I never considered that it was anything unusual, but this guy dove into that plate like he was famished, said it reminded him of home style food from his country. He speared one of the quarters of potato and said "this is good, how did you cook this"?. When I explained, he was amazed - and that amazed me. I think that sometimes I take for granted the idea that we all think alike, and my neighbor seems to often remind me of that shortcoming without even realizing it.

__________________
Rrumbler - Broken and grouchy, but not dead - yet. Bangin' and twistin' on stuff for some sixty years or so.


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 9419
Date:

Thanks, Em(I), we used to fix it all the time, especially on St. Pat's Day but for some "unknown" reason we haven't in a long time. - - - one thing's for certain. I will be fixin' it agaain very soon.

__________________

"Life is a Poem - - it has Rhyme and Reason" author: Me



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 1943
Date:

CB&C - soul food for us that might still still have an emotional tie with the 'owld country'. We usually have it a couple times in the spring especially. If I ever get the kitchen back in operation, will make a request of the cook (the DW, that is, boiling water is my specialty)



__________________

Dave W (Irelands Child/IC2)

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead - R Green)



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 9419
Date:

I been cuss'n Em(I) but in a nice way and now I'm trying to decide whether to wait until Paddy's Day or jump into a mess the next time I'm at the store - - decision decisions

as for Dinner yesterday, it was the same as before as was Supper last night - - - Gumbo is gone gone - - you might say we kinda enjoyed it

gonna grill me a kicking and screaming steak and then I'll take Sherry's off after it before shoe leather - - - plus a baked tater and some salad - - - that is IF? they get my hot water heater installed this morning

__________________

"Life is a Poem - - it has Rhyme and Reason" author: Me



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 1527
Date:

Well, I finished off the CB&C last evening, so if Mrs. Rr has not tossed the leftover chicken (she is a three day rule person), I'm going to go for the chicken soup with matzoh balls this evening.


Good luck with the water heater; I have a feeling I am going to have to make that move pretty soon.



-- Edited by Rrumbler on Friday 22nd of January 2016 01:32:12 PM

__________________
Rrumbler - Broken and grouchy, but not dead - yet. Bangin' and twistin' on stuff for some sixty years or so.


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 9419
Date:

Water heater went well and now we have to be careful because it is HOT - - - there's still a small drip at one of the PVC connections but he's coming back to check everything and I'll have him take care of it then.

Grilled that steak and split a baked tater and salad with the Wiffy for Dinner - - - - can you tell which steak is mine?  Mooooooooooooooooo



-- Edited by Mello Yello on Friday 22nd of January 2016 02:03:44 PM

Attachments
__________________

"Life is a Poem - - it has Rhyme and Reason" author: Me



Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 464
Date:

So we all on the same page with corned beef. I put mine in a pot with heap of peppercorns and about half a cup of golden syrup. After about half an hour on slow I add carrots to the pot and leave for about an hour or so. Then I make my mustard sauce which is perfect for corned beef.
1 egg add to half cup sugar a teaspoon of mustard and third of cup flour. Good shake of pepper and mix with a cup of juice corned beef is cooked in. Heat til it thickens. Serve corned beef with mash spud and sauce. Beautiful!!

Later gator
Russ

__________________

Panties, not the best thing in the world, but, next to the best thing in the world.



Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 464
Date:

Easy night tonight. Wife and I are in a dinner club with 11 or 12 close friends. We go out on the first wed of every month. We had some devasting earthquakes here in 2010 and 2011, we started our club up,to support small businesses that were struggling with patronage. My pick tonight so we are going to corianders Indian restaurant. I will get butter chicken AGAIN, lol.

I will report back, I know there's not many Indian fans here thoughsmilesmilesmile

 

later gator 

russ



__________________

Panties, not the best thing in the world, but, next to the best thing in the world.



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 9419
Date:

Only Native American and then preferably Cherokee HAHAHAHAHA

__________________

"Life is a Poem - - it has Rhyme and Reason" author: Me



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 1943
Date:

I don't think it's a problem of being a fan, there just aren't the number of Indian restaurants here as there are in the 'later' British colonies. We have been to the one local place - and can't say that one is good enough to do often - not just my opinion. I would really like to try it with someone who knows good Indian - and not with the Indian arse that lives across the street that no one in the neighborhood can stand.



__________________

Dave W (Irelands Child/IC2)

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead - R Green)



Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 464
Date:

That's funny dave. I make all my own curries and I haven't met anyone that doesn't like mine. We had onion bhajees as an entree, they were real good but the consensus was mine were better and crispier.
And no my curries won't give you the runs. In fact I don't think I've ever had a bad curry. Like you say if you don't have much choice then I guess it's hard to Choose a good one.

Meller, when I mention Indian I always realise you have 2 different Indians in your country.

Later gator
Russ

__________________

Panties, not the best thing in the world, but, next to the best thing in the world.



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 1527
Date:

Mello Yello wrote:

Only Native American and then preferably Cherokee HAHAHAHAHA


 Suits me!!  But then, I am married to one - Cherokee, that is.



__________________
Rrumbler - Broken and grouchy, but not dead - yet. Bangin' and twistin' on stuff for some sixty years or so.


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 464
Date:

Really!!!! That's unbelievable, if you don't mind me asking what % Cherokee would she be? The reason I ask is our indigenous Maori people here are not full blooded but blended with other nationalities. Can she trace her ancestors? What an amazing thing to be married to a Cherokee lady!

Later gator
Russ

__________________

Panties, not the best thing in the world, but, next to the best thing in the world.



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 1527
Date:

whinny wrote:

Really!!!! That's unbelievable, if you don't mind me asking what % Cherokee would she be? The reason I ask is our indigenous Maori people here are not full blooded but blended with other nationalities. Can she trace her ancestors? What an amazing thing to be married to a Cherokee lady!

Later gator
Russ


Somewhere between 25% and 50%; there is some Choctaw, Seminole, and a bit of English tossed in for good measure.  She and her cousin have traced their family line and pedigree back to before white folk came to this continent, and they are of "royal" lineage.  They - she and her cousin, and their children are all registered with the Tribe in Oklahoma, and qualify for benefits if they are of a mind to claim them.  We have eleven four inch ring binders on her family line, and five on mine; I am 100% European, probably 90% English.  My ancestors came to North America in 1636 from Cornwood Village, Devon, England.



__________________
Rrumbler - Broken and grouchy, but not dead - yet. Bangin' and twistin' on stuff for some sixty years or so.


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 1527
Date:

Whew!! Talk about getting sidetracked or hijacked; this IS the What's For Dinner Page, yanno.

 

confusenonobiggrinbiggrinawwwink



-- Edited by Rrumbler on Wednesday 3rd of February 2016 07:03:34 PM

__________________
Rrumbler - Broken and grouchy, but not dead - yet. Bangin' and twistin' on stuff for some sixty years or so.


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 9419
Date:

If it wasn't for Hi-Jacks - - - Poncho wouldn't even have to check the board for obsenities LMAO

Me Grandmaw on Pops side was 50% Cherokee so I guess I be about "2 bits worth" eh?

__________________

"Life is a Poem - - it has Rhyme and Reason" author: Me



Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 464
Date:

And just carrying on, my wife and I visited my great great great grandfathers home town of Bodmin in Cornwall in the uk. About 15 years ago, 3 brothers moved to invercargil to carry on their mining here in NZ, I visited my ancestors graveyards while there. It was quite spooky. One brother moved to Christchurch which is where I still live. It's quite satisfying knowing where your bloodlines come from.

Sidetrack over? Lol, just got home from pub, mini roast potatoes and pumpkin with some new season corn with lashings butter,nom nom. I had a fried egg with mine.

Later gator
Russ

__________________

Panties, not the best thing in the world, but, next to the best thing in the world.



Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 464
Date:

Tea tonight is simple, beef stew on toast. Last night was a new attempt at something I've seen on menus.
Cut in half croissant and butter, light spread of tomato relish, big slice of cheese,bacon and then a poached egg and lashings of home made hollandaise sauce. I gave it 10/10 but my wife says we not having too often, it's too fattening.lol.

Later gator
Russ

__________________

Panties, not the best thing in the world, but, next to the best thing in the world.



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 1943
Date:

whinny wrote:

Tea tonight is simple, beef stew on toast. Last night was a new attempt at something I've seen on menus.
Cut in half croissant and butter, light spread of tomato relish, big slice of cheese,bacon and then a poached egg and lashings of home made hollandaise sauce. I gave it 10/10 but my wife says we not having too often, it's too fattening.lol.

Later gator
Russ


 My cholesterol just spiked 10 points reading that one.

We had some left over veal stew my wife made for Sunday night's Super Bowl game along with some fresh Mexican (?) cauliflower and homemade buttermilk whole wheat bread. The stew was better the second day as always. Followed by some butter pecan ice cream

 The ancestry thing on three sides is a mystery as I've never done it. My grandfather's (father's side) has been done but not updated since his name was added in the 1890's. It's actually in a book called the Johnson Family Chronicles (not our last name). This history goes back to the Mayflower, John Alden (dad's middle name) and then England. I am starting to get interested though mom's dad probably can't be traced back beyond about 1875 since his birth town in Germany was leveled in a couple wars in the 20th. Oh well someday -- maybe



-- Edited by Dave W on Tuesday 9th of February 2016 07:33:58 AM

__________________

Dave W (Irelands Child/IC2)

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead - R Green)



Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 464
Date:

A relative in the north island here did our tree back to 1800s and up,until my kids were born. I haven't had it out for a while but I did get a lot of pleasure going back to the uk to see where my ancestors came from.

Later gator
Russ

__________________

Panties, not the best thing in the world, but, next to the best thing in the world.



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 1943
Date:

whinny wrote:

A relative in the north island here did our tree back to 1800s and up,until my kids were born. I haven't had it out for a while but I did get a lot of pleasure going back to the uk to see where my ancestors came from.

Later gator
Russ


 My background is Irish, Scottish, English and German. I've worked and vacationed in all four countries and have yet to see where the family trees were planted. My wife is Scottish and Swedish - she's been to Scotland several times but never Sweden tho I have before we were married. She has worked on her tree but has trouble getting beyond Ellis Island, the late 1800's first stop and entry point in the US for immigrants then.

Supper - it will be pork roast, oven browned taters and whatever else the fridge has to offer for veggies all finished off with that butter pecan ice creambiggrin



__________________

Dave W (Irelands Child/IC2)

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead - R Green)



Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 464
Date:

Butter pecan ice cream,drool,lol, I bet that's nice. I've been to Scotland and the isle of sky was a highlight for us. We based ourselves at Inverness. Never saw a monster,lmfao.

Maybe cheese on toast tonight with my home made pavlova. And cream.

Later gator
Russ

__________________

Panties, not the best thing in the world, but, next to the best thing in the world.



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 9419
Date:

?Dinner? a Ribless Rib Sammich and Cole Slaw - -



-- Edited by Mello Yello on Wednesday 10th of February 2016 01:47:33 PM

__________________

"Life is a Poem - - it has Rhyme and Reason" author: Me



Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 464
Date:

Slaw looks yummy.

Later gator
Russ

__________________

Panties, not the best thing in the world, but, next to the best thing in the world.



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 1527
Date:

That gives me an idea, Em(E); got's some leftover crock pot ribs I need to figure something to do with besides just eat 'em - which solution is not bad in and of itself, but maybe something more creative would be appealing. Gotta put my noggin to work on that.

__________________
Rrumbler - Broken and grouchy, but not dead - yet. Bangin' and twistin' on stuff for some sixty years or so.


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 9419
Date:

t'was purdy larapin for sure BUT bone polishing is a Win Win also

__________________

"Life is a Poem - - it has Rhyme and Reason" author: Me



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 1527
Date:

Tonight, I am going to separate the last half rack and a bit more of the crock pot ribs Mrs. Rr cooked the other day from their bones, scoop out the white stuff from the left over baked taters and mix it with some sour cream and butter, cook up some "bear grass", and chow down.  Gotta use the left overs up, hate to toss 'em out.



__________________
Rrumbler - Broken and grouchy, but not dead - yet. Bangin' and twistin' on stuff for some sixty years or so.


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 9419
Date:

Em(I) - I imagine that you were raised on leftovers, like I was - - - if we didn't like what Mom cooked and didn't eat it all then we would get another chance at the next meal HAHAHAHA

__________________

"Life is a Poem - - it has Rhyme and Reason" author: Me



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 1527
Date:

Mello Yello wrote:

Em(I) - I imagine that you were raised on leftovers, like I was - - - if we didn't like what Mom cooked and didn't eat it all then we would get another chance at the next meal HAHAHAHA


 Yep, pretty much, we didn't have the luxury of a frequently varied menu; we'd have something for supper, and if there were leftovers, that's what we had the next evening, and so on until that was gone, then something new, again.



__________________
Rrumbler - Broken and grouchy, but not dead - yet. Bangin' and twistin' on stuff for some sixty years or so.


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 464
Date:

I was raised the same in a single parent family and a state owned house my mum rented, we didn't have a lot of flash stuff. Lived on simple things like shepherds pie, baked beans, spaghetti,sausages, etc. these are still my fave meals, simple cheap meals. I still like the best of stuff, but feel at home with a chop and a bit of mash spud,lol.

Later gator
Russ

__________________

Panties, not the best thing in the world, but, next to the best thing in the world.



Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 464
Date:

image.jpegGarlic lovers?????

Making garlic sauce, sometimes called Diane sauce.

show you later finished sauce. Having with porterhouse steaks, baked potatoes sweet corn cauliflower and broccoli cheese bake.

 

later gator 

russ



Attachments
__________________

Panties, not the best thing in the world, but, next to the best thing in the world.



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 9419
Date:

Russ, I have to be honest - - - - I have quit using garlic in almost everything I cook and I DON'T KNOW WHY   I have a very small jar of minced Garlic in the frig that I've had several years and sometimes I'll throw in a 1/4 tsp but not often.



__________________

"Life is a Poem - - it has Rhyme and Reason" author: Me



Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 464
Date:

Garlic is round here, I'll post a pic of the finished sauce. Everyone says garlic is good for you. We have friends who grow garlic. Last year he planted 4,000 bulbs. He gives me garlic plaited together in large amounts. All my kids and 5 grandkids absolutely love my garlic bread. I use ciabatta bread with lots my garlic butter grilled til bubbling, light splash of sweet chilli sauce and a sprinkle of cheese then regrill. Youngest is 18 months and he had 2 decent bits last week with his tea.
My garlic butter. 1/4 pd butter mixed with crushed garlic cloves to your liking, a good slug of extra virgin olive oil and bit of parsley for colour. Mash it all together. Bellissimo!

Later gator
Russ

__________________

Panties, not the best thing in the world, but, next to the best thing in the world.



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 1943
Date:

I don't do much cooking but do have to say that my wife uses garlic in about everything - and even this early in the morning still have the taste from last night's meatloaf. Great stuff - but thanks to a bottle of Tums antacid tabs, no bounces.



__________________

Dave W (Irelands Child/IC2)

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead - R Green)

«First  <  1 2 3 4 59  >  Last»  | Page of 9  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.



Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard